Friday, July 28, 2017

Day 24 Final climb up to Rifugio Col Visentin

Mike and Vanessa left at 5:15am to catch a train to Florence. I got ip when theh left and hit the road at 5:45 after being releases from the hotel by the night receptionist. I walked down the the stairs to the river. As I descended I could see the escalator enclosed in plastic. It seemed to be closed. I prefer the stairs anyway.

I crossed the River Piave that I know I will be walking by on some future days. The I walked through some smaller villages, mountain roads and trails. The trail markkng was a bit scarce at times and I decided to walk a variant that wasn't part if the gpx track that I have. However, I was able to make my way without issue. Along the way there were some pretty river pools and I saw a couple gathering berrries

I returned to the main route and soon was in Nevega. I stopped in the grocery store (which didn't have cold diet coke) and bought a snack. The young woman who served me had many questions about the trail. I showed her my book and told her about life on the trail. When she picked up my pack, I think she was a little shocked.

From there I hiked through the ski area and beyond. The trail was good and even cool in some places. The last bit was a bit of a grunt but I had wonderful views of the Dolomites.


The rifugio had tons of communciations equipment around it. However it is made of stone and has a tower. It is kind if a contradiction. It is the last hut that I will stay at on this trip. From here on out it will be hotels as I make my way to Venice.

I bought Mike and Vanessa and myself Munich to Venice stickers. I had hoped for a shirt. The last hut had really cute shirts. However there are no shirts here. Probably best it would have just made my backpack heavier.

Dustance: 17km (10 miles)
Elevation up: 1600m (5000ft)
Elevation down: 270m ( 890ft)

Photos at https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0q532ODWVPkrI


This is is my track for the last seven days
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0ZqguMWq0nIVvMudyEDQOcLFQgoN7hGXc

No comments: