Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Day 14 Transition from Zitteral Alps to the Dolomites

Today was not the most exciting day but it had to be done to get to the Dolomites. It began with a road walk and walks on tracks that paralleled the road. Most of the German walkers skipped this section by taking a bus. Frank left today via train to return home. Rudy will take two rest days in a nearby larger city which he will reach by walking and train. Volker will take one rest day because he booked all of his accomadation one day off.

In the early morning I saw a man driving a three wheeled truck (two back wheels and one front wheel). He was towing a big metal tin. I thought he was delivering milk and managed to point at it and say "latte" which I think is Italian for milk. He smiled and nodded and laughed when I took a picture. That was in Vallarga.

From there I walked to Niedervintl. I visited to grocery store there but sadly there was no cold diet coke or cliff bars. I did find some dried apricots. Google maps told me there was another shop but I wasnt able to find it. In fact a woman sent me back to the original store.

I left the town and walkes through some very tall corn and crossed a river. Then I hiked up through the forest. It was pretty steep in places. I had views of the Pfunders valley that I had walked down from on the other side of the river.

Up, up, up I walked. One the way I could see the logging in the area. I also walked through some green meadows. Finally I reached the Roner Hut. I took a small break there. They had a "dog bar" with bowls to fill for furry friends. Also an electric bike charging station.

From there I walked along a open high area with mountain views all around including the Peitlerkofel in the Dolomites which will be a target tomorrow.

The high areas are cultivated to grow hay. It was being harvested. First cut, then racked and then collected and rolled.

Finally I arrived at my destination for the night the Kreuzweisen Alm. It has been around since 1925. It is a working dairy that makes it own cheese. I am in a room not the dorm which is over the cow shed and reported to be smelly.

Distance: 24km
Elevation Up:1500m(almost 5000ft)
Elevation Down 800m (2600ft)

Photos at https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0q532ODWVPkrI

This is is my track for the last seven days
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0ZqguMWq0nIVvMudyEDQOcLFQgoN7hGXc

No comments: