Monday, July 10, 2017

Day 5 Travel to Karwendalhaus

The night was filled with thunder and lightening so I didnt know what the morning would bring. It brought more rain but only a little thunder and lightening. I debated a later start but thats why I carry rain pants and an expensive rain jacket. I put then both on and stepped out. I decided the rain pants were over the top and took them iff before I ever started out. I used the raincoat on and off all morning. The rain alternated between light to steady to heavy at timea.
The first part if the day was unimpressive hiking along a rather busy road as cars filled with mountain bikers speed by. Crossing the river a couple of times was impressive. The river is a beautiful color and cut into the earth creating an impressive gorge. I crossed the border into Austria in this part of today's hike.
I stopped in at Hinterriss for a quick break and some strudel. Maybe instead of calling this trip the Dream Way it could be called the Apfel kuchen/strudel way. Anyway it was delicious. I highly recommend it. Then I discovered a bonus. There was wifi. The guesthouse didn't allow us to use their wifi last night. I posted yestedays blog. Then I looked out the window and I saw several chamois munching on the green grass next to the gasthof. It was like the elk who gather at Yellowstone to enjoy the lawns in the people populated areas.
From there I headed out up a trail. There was a mountain biker in the trail ahead of me. Initially it was a wide track but it evolved into a single track that crossed a creek, had several downed trees and was severely eroded with a major drop off next to the erosion. At some point I caught uo to the poor mountain biker who decided this trail was not for her.
I continued climbing on trails that at time were sharef with mountain bikers and at times diverged into activity specific trails. One poor guy asked me for directions. He must have been hard up. I think I sent him the rigjt way.
Right around there I caught up with a guy who stayed in the lager (dormitory) that I was in last night. This kind of confused me because I knew I was the first one to leave. Although he could have passed me on the strudel break. However, as soon as he saw me he let me know he took the bus to Hinterriss and that is how he got ahead of me.
We leap frogged in the trail on and off up to Karwendalhaus. The trail became beautiful. It opened into a bowl just below the jagged limestone cliffs called Karwendal. There were great meadows with grass, wild flowers and cows below the cliffs. This is what I am here for. I love the alpine environment.
I crossed over the pass and down to the hut called Karwendalhaus. It is built right into the cliff and is amazing. I feel very fortunate to be able to stay here.
Volker and I arrived at the same time. After a snack he helped me check in. There is an unusual color coating system here. I was told go up to the third floor. Find the bed with the blue line. Two are already taken. You take the third. I thought this put a crimp in my choose the best bed system but I ened up with the exact bed that I wanted- on the end and next to the window. Volker ended up with one across the way. As we unpacked I learned he is from the Berlin area. In fact he is from the old East Berlin and had lived there before the wall came down. We had a interesting conversation about that.
. Then I decided to take a shower. The joke was on me there is only cold water. I did wash my clothes. Oh the joke was one me again it started pouring outside when I went to hang them. It was only a brief shower and soon I was able to hang them out. It was so windy I had to take then down. I was worried they fly away forever. I saw one guy looking over the edge of the balcony like he lad lost something. It a long way down
Outside the hut there is a red circle with a cell phone painted on it where thwre is apparently cell phone service. My poor phone had no service.
Tomorrow I am going up and over those jagged peaks. It is supposed to be steep both ways with steel cables to assist. It is not recommended if there is bad weather. There is a weather and trail info meeting tonight at 7:30 which I will attend to ensure that it is safe to go.

Photos at https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0q532ODWVPkrI

No comments: