Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Day 0 Munich

The flight to Munich was fine. I was seated next to a toddler with a stinky diaper but that was fixed eventually. Her mom saw me reading my guidebook and asked about my trip. Turns out she is here visiting her sister in Bad Tolz and saw that in my guidebook. I will be walking through there in a couple of days.

I had bo problem figuring out the S Bahn and U Bahn system with the help of a train employee. He even gave me a highlighted map. On the S Bahn I was able to help a French couole who also had just flown in.

I went to Marienplatz the center of old town Munich first. I had forgotten how intricate the old buildings are. If you look closely at the tower about half way up you can see the figurines carved in it. They probably rotate on the hour. I didnt stick around

i made my way back to the station and found the U Bahn which seems to be slightly shabbier than the S Bahn. It brought me to a quiet suburb where I had a reservation at a youth hostel. I was super glad to have data on my phone because it made it so easy to find the hostel. I arrived around 7 pm. I quickly checked in and went down to the local supermarket. FYI it was not very large but it is defintely referred to as a supermarket because the front desk girl looked at me with a blank look when I asked for a grocery store. When I explained a place to buy food she clarified "supermarket". I went down and checked it out. There was a lovely bakery next to it. I look forward to apfelkuchen in the near future. I didnt buy anything but I just wanted to see what was there for future reference. Tomorrow there are several villages in the way but the next day there are none so I need to carry food.

I returned tio the hostel to do laundry. This will be a daily chore from this point on as I do not have a big wardrobe with me.

I saw this unique smoking structure in front of the hostel. I like it
It keeps in most of the the cigarette smokers smoke. Nothing worse than going to someplace and all the smokers are right out front so you have to walk through the fumes.

It about 9:30pm here and 12:30pm in CA. I am not sure how well I will be able to sleep today.

Tomorrow is the longest day 23 miles but flat. However, it will also be the first day of carrying a heavier pack. It will actually be a little shorter because the hostel is south of the official start, the Marienplatz, so I think I have cut a couple of miles off.

I feel ready to start tomorrow. The images above might be cutoff. You should be able to click in them to see the full image

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you bring back one of those smoking structures to put up around AZ? Great idea.

Kris Olson said...

Two problems - as I left this morning there was someone sitting right next it outside smoking and it doesn't fit in my backpack which is too heavy already