Friday, July 7, 2017

Day 3 Travel to Tutzinger Hutte

I left Bad Tolz as it was just awakening at 6:15am. The first part of the hike was pretty flat along the River Isar to Lenggries. That was about 6 miles almost half the day's total distance but it didnt include any of the 4000ft elevation gain. I knew it was going to be a bit if a shock to the system when I started climbing. To prep my system I treated myself to not one but two cherry cinnamon rolls from the supermarket bakery.
Then I waddled up to the ski hill and began a steep and very warm climb to the top. It wasn't too bad. Of course, I was red and sweaty at the top compared to the mountain visitors who chose to ride the cable car up. After a brief stop where I checked out the paragliders jumping off the sheer cliff, I began a ridge walk. Despite it bring described as a steep and exposed, I didn't find it too bad. There was one ladder and a few sections of fixed cable. There were also numerous places were I used my hands to climb up or down. I went slow but didn't feel overly worried about the conditions. I "bagged" three peaks along the way. I also startled a poor grouse chick which was in the trail. It's mama freaked out and I thought she was going to dive bomb me or something. I met a sweet Irish family day hiking along the ridge. The kids were having a great time with it. I think the Dad was a bit worried about me hiking on my own.
At the hut there were alot of people hanging out. I don't think most if them are staying the night. I have a nice bed in a room that holds six. I will time to see if the loud snoring German in tiny underwear holds up as most the room inhabitants are German males.
It was so good to take a shower I was soaking wet with sweat when I arrived. I met a lady named Marlies who is at least hiking a bit of what I am hiking.
I wanted to stay flexible so I hadnt booked too far out and now that has bitten me in the butt. I cant stay where I wanted to stay on Saturday. I did get a reservation there on Sunday. Not sure what I will do about Sat night yet. So I am already a day behind.
Today's statistics were 13 miles 4000ft elevation gain

Still not able to add images but you can see them at

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0q532ODWVPkrI

No comments: