Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Day 1 Naked Hiking Munich to Wolfratshausen

I was up early to beat the heat and I hit the trail to Wolfratshausen. The initial stages of the hiking was along the River Isar and then along it canals. I shared the trail with many runners, walkers and cyclists (all clothed) near the city but that thinned out as I moved farther and farther from Munich. I initially crossed a couple of bridges that had a variety of engraved padlocks. These are put there by lovers. My question is what happens when they break up? Lock cutters? Do they stay there? This practice has been modeled on the famous Pont des Arts in Paris

I planned to stop in Pullach for a snack and took a "wrong" turn that had me climb up a very steep set of stairs. Once up there I realized that where I had been headed was actually below on the river. The delay certainly didnt matter because when I got there it was still closed and not opening for hours. I sat in the garden, filled my water bottle and ate a cliff bar anyway. I think I was about a third of the way to Wolf town.

I walked through forest to the next stop Schaftlarn. It is dominated by a Beneditine Monestary founded in 701. I stopped at the gasthof to get a bite to eat. The waiters english was not good and the menu had way too many words. My phone had poor signal so google translate wasnt working well. I didnt think until later to put it in airplane mode. Then the translator worked much better. The waiter asked me if I would like some pretzels. I said yes. I asked the water for eggs. He said "yes eggs and pointed to his testes". I was a little worries that I was going to get rocky mountain oysters or something. However, it was a none issue as the cook said no eggs. So there was some type of apple thing in the menu. The waiter tried to explain it to me and I didnt really understand but how wrong can you go with apples and cinamon sugar. I ordered it. The poor waiter came back and said the cook said not until 11:30. I said "no thanks". It was 10:45. I ate my pretzels which were yummy. A little while later another waiter (or maybe the boss) brought me a dish. Turns out the boss told the cook to make me the apple stuff. Turns out it was two slices of apple covered in cinamon sugar and fried. It was served with ice cream with walnuts. It was very good. I asked if it was a specialty of the area and he said yes.

From there I continued walking along the canal. Along the water were lots if flowers and butterflies. Then in the distance I saw someone walking along. I have bad eyes but he looked naked. In my mind I was thinking surely he isnt naked. He must be wearing clothing that is skin colored or something. As I got closer I knew my first thought was correct. (See image below) He had a branch with leaves that he used to keep the flies off. Finally I passed keeping my eyes straight ahead. I wasnt really sure what to think. I noticed a couple ahead of me. Then another naked man walked out of the trees. However this one turned around and went back into the trees right away. Soon I was at the weir and I had caught up to the couple. I had to ask "Is naked walking common around here?" I think they thought I was crazy. They hadnt seen either man. The man asked if I had ever seen a naked man. I said "yes but not walking down a trail". They did know if a place downstream where people walk around nude. I guess they migrated upstream or something. We talked about hiking. They were very impressed that I had walked from Munich. They drove from Munich. The man had a couple of friends who have hiked the Dream Way.

I crossed the weir (pictured below) and walked down to Wolf town. I believe that one of the industries here is lumber. It is stacked on the side of the canal looking like it is prepared for transport along the canal. It was a long but fun day. I am pretty sure that I hiked around 21 miles

No comments: